Re: Cannot use type1 fonts with OpenOffice

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 01:27:31AM +0200, Ernest Adrogu? wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using OpenOffice 1.1.0 and want to use some fonts
> that I have in /usr/local/.../{truetype,type1}. They are
> visible with gtkfontsel and gtk2fontsel, and show up in
> xlsfonts and fc-list as well, but with OpenOffice I can
> only use the TrueType ones. The Type1 ones just doesn't
> appear in the list.
>
> However the Helvetica & co. which are also Type1 work
> fine. I've moved all the fonts to /usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1,
> updated the fonts.dir and fonts.scale files, but in
> vain. Any help will be appreciated.
>
> P.S.: Please, CC me in replies.

I don't know what release you are using but I had a very similar
problem. I run unstable and I think fonts for some apps are handled by
fontconfig and libxft.

When configuring fontconfig I had said that I didn't want it to use
bitmapped fonts (because it told me they were not as good) and then
later I realized that only truetype fonts were showing up in apps. Then
reading through the messages on this list I found out about fontconfig,
did a "dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig" and chose use bitmap fonts and
things were ok.

I don't know if this is your problem, but this drove me mad for 3 days
as I installed every single font package and still couldn't get fonts to
work :)

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>