Exim weirdness

Hi, I'm using exim3 on sid and I keep getting weird messages like this
popping up in my logs:

failed to open DB file /var/spool/exim/db/wait-remote_smtp: Invalid
argument
failed to open DB file /var/spool/exim/db/retry: Invalid argument

This stops me processing various entries in my queue which have been
stuck there for a while. I've checked my exim.conf and the docs but I
can't see anything that would be any yes there.
The files definitely exist, and I assume have the correct permisions (I
haven't touched them if nothing else).

Is this some kind of weird sid/exim bug or is there something I've missed?

TIA

--
Tony Parsons
mpsons@cix.compulink.co.uk