Re: Problem with apt-get/dselect/aptitude and unstable/stable packages

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 11:59:20PM +0100, Joseph Jones wrote:
> Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 at 14:51 GMT, Joseph Jones penned:
> >

> >>I installed some unstable packages, and I'd like to know whether
> >>there's a way of having dselect or whatever un-install all the
> >>unstable packages without having to mess around fixing dependancies.
> >>As in, I don't want it to do anything but un-install all the unstable
> >>packages. My apt-get has been effectively frozen for several days
> >>simply because it was impossible to un-install these packages without
> >>scaring a newbie like me off.
> >>
> >>Any help appreciated :)

Look at "man apt_preferences".
Create an /etc/apt/preferences that consists of three lines:

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 1001

#apt-get update
#apt-get --simulate dist-upgrade

If this looks like it will accomplish the downgrade, rerun apt-get
without the simulate option.

#apt-get -u dist-upgrade

After downgrade back to stable, if you still want to be able to
install testing or unstable packages, change /etc/apt/preferences to:

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 990

Package: *