Re: 2.6.0 + where is /etc/modules?

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 11:06:46AM -0700, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Trying to load a sound module that was in /etc/modules
> in 2.4.21 as cs4232.
> /etc/modules is no longer used in 2.6.0. Everything in
> the Debian Manual refers to /etc/modules.

Just as an aside, /etc/modules wasn't used in 2.4.x or 2.2.x, either.  It's
a Debian-ism.  Modules listed there are loaded during boot by the
/etc/init.d/modutils script (beginning at line 16 of that script).

If you had your modules set up properly, you wouldn't need to use
/etc/modules.  It's a crutch.

I have no idea whatsoever if that script still exists if you're using the
module-init-tools package to support 2.6.x, nor do I care.  I'm not about
to run 2.6, nor will I until there's some demonstrated advantage in it.

Your mileage may vary.

--
 Marc Wilson |     Yow!  I want my nose in lights!
 msw@cox.net |