Re: Re. CD writer - still

--- Alvin Oga <aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Sidney Brooks wrote:
>
> your kernel config looks good
>
> 	egrep -i

"BLK_DEV_LOOP|BLK_DEV_RAM|BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE|BLK_DEV_IDESCSI|CONFIG_SCSI=|CONFIG_MINIX_FS"

http://www.Linux-Consulting.com/Boot/Syslinux/boot.flop.syslinux.txt

> c ya
> alvin
>
> > Here it is:
> >
> > #
> > # Automatically generated make config: don't edit
> > #
> > CONFIG_X86=y
> > # CONFIG_SBUS is not set
> > CONFIG_UID16=y

The one answer that I am sure of is that my CDRW is on
the list of supported drives.

I did not make a boot floppy at the end of the kernel
configuration where it was an option. The default was
"no" and with all my failures, I think that I have
made about eight kernels by now, I thought that making
a floppy can wait until I prove that the CD writer
works.At this point, I do not know how to make a boot
floppy because I doubt that lilo is booting the kernel
that I made.

I did make dep and make clean but not the others. My
guide did not call for them.

My main lilo is on another partition and because cat
/proc/devices lists ide not scsi devices, my guess is
that it is not booting the new kernel. On the other
hand, the line append ="hdc=ide-scsi" disables my
cdrom. If I want to use the cdrom, I must comment out
this line in lilo.

I would like to try booting from the lilo which the
kernel configuration process created.It resides on the
partition where I want to use it, but I do not know
how to boot from the partition.

sidney