Re: More on spam

--- ScruLoose <scruloose+debuser@eastlink.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 05:57:15AM -0700, Sidney
> Brooks wrote:
> > Filters will not solve the problem. The problem is
> > that so much spam is coming in that it overloads
> the
> > allocated mailbox space and then Yahoo, and I
> presume
> > other services, refuse to accept more email.
> Of course, if you had actually been _reading_ the
> many threads on this
> topic recently, you would already know that there
> _are_ filtering
> methods that work, and work very well.  There are
> filtering options that
> are much better than relying on Yahoo's own filters.
> > A filter
> > can divert spam into trash, but trash counts
> against
> > your quota until you delete it. You can't use the
> > "reject sender" option, because the spammers
> targeting
> > this site change the name of the sender with just
> > about every message.
> Sure, if you restrict yourself to using Yahoo's own
> filters.
> But you can use fetchmail or fechyahoo to
> automatically download your
> mail as often as you want, in conjunction with
> whatever filtering tools
> you want to set up on your own machine.
> Even if you use _no_ filtering, this eliminates the
> "mailbox full"
> problem... unless you get enough spam to fill your
> hard drive.
> > Allowing some program to judge
> > which messages to accept or throw out wont work
> either
> > because it would reject desired messages that it
> > thought looks like spam.
> Personally, I'm prepared to accept the extremely low
> false-positive rate
> that a well-trained bayesian filter will provide. If
> you prefer to
> examine _every_ message personally, that's easily
> achievable.  Default
> on most filtering programs is to put suspected spam
> into a folder where
> you can review it if you want.
> Obviously, these solutions aren't perfect.
> Obviously, in a truly
> enlightened world, there would be no spammers. But
> in the here and now,
> filtering strikes me as a better solution than
> sitting around
> whining about how "the spammers have won". You may
> be beaten, but I'm
> still fighting, and easily holding my own.
> 	Cheers
> --

I am not a hero and when I do fight, it has to be for
a worthy cause. The simple solution that I have
already taken is to set up a different Yahoo account.
I hate to give up an email address that I have had for
some eight years, but I can think of it as the price
for the useful advice that I have gotten here.

There is nothing wrong with Yahoo. The problem is that
this site posts addresses of the people sending
messages. I do not blame the master of this site for
not anticipating the problem, but I will blame him if
he refuses to take the obvious action. Debian is hard
enough to learn to use without losing the help
available here.

Do you Yahoo!?