Disk corruption on crash

Hi,
	I've just had a system crash (possibly a power glitch), and one of my
disks seems corrupted.

>From dmesg (or /var/log/syslog):
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 hda10 hda11 hda12 >
 hde: hde1 hde2 hde3
 hdf: hdf1 hdf2 hdf3 hdf4 < >
 hdg: hdg1 hdg2

hdf should have two logical partitions hdf5 and hdf6, which are not found.
Naturally fsck gets very upset about this when it tries to verify them
before mounting. However more worrying is that if I try to fdisk the disk
(I do have tape backups) it complains that it cannot seek. (cfdisk also
fails).

Is there any tool in Debian (or even outside of it) that can at least
format this disk or is it a case of bin the disk and restore to a new one?

TIA
	James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering