Re: More on spam

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 05:32:28PM +0200, Dr.-Ing. C. Hurschler wrote:

| But I'm kind of wondering about how swen is still getting propogated
| so much.  Are there really that many infected computers who's users
| don't know it???

Maybe, maybe not.  Was it SoBig that used the subject "My Details" and
dug addresses from the local address book?  That wsa the one that one
of the non-techies where I work clicked on the attachment.  Following
that, each of the rest of us in the company received a couple hundred
copies of it in a matter of hours.  The sender was spoofed, naturally,
but after a few rounds of telling people to check their machines we
found who the culprit was.  (we knew it was someone in the office or a
business associate because no one else would have access to most of
those addresses)  The moral of the story is that a single infected
machine can be significantly bothersome.

| The sender addresses don't seem to be real addresses on the swen mails I get.

They're forged.  Some might happen to be real (that is, really used by
a real person, but not likely the one who is infected), but that's
just chance.

-D

--
Folly delights a man who lacks judgement,
but a man of understanding keeps a straight course.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/