Re: CD writer

Joachim Fahnenmueller wrote:
On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 03:39:52AM -0700, Sidney Brooks wrote:

Although Alvin Oga pointed me in the right direction,
I have still not been successful in modifying my
kernel to allow CD writing. The hang-up seems to be
the instruction to remove "native ATAPI support".
There are a number of references to ide in the
configuration menu and I must not have removed all of
them.

The simplest way is to pass the following boot option to the kernel
(in /etc/lilo.conf if you use lilo):
hdd=ide-scsi
(if /dev/hdd is your cd writer).

If you really want to switch to SCSI emulation, just disable 'IDE/ATAPI CDROM support' (in the 'IDE, ATA and ATAPI block devices' menu), and don't forget to enable SCSI CDROM and SCSI generic support.
HTH

I've have an IDE/ATAPI drive, and began to get frustrated with SCSI emulation--began to wonder if I could just burn with my ATAPI as is:

cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus
cdrecord -v -speed=? -dev=ATAPI:?,?,? /path/to/iso

?,?,? = the address specified in cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus, and you should indicate whatever writing speed you'd like. I use speed=8.

Enjoy.