Re: "stable" security updates when installing "testing" (sarge)??

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 11:00:38AM +0200, Jörg Hartmann wrote:
> I'm just netinstalling Debian sarge ("testing") on a VMWare guest, and while
> doing this I selected Debian's (automatic) security updates functionality.
> So now I notice that while Debian loads "testing" packages for the
> netinstall itself, at the same time it loads "stable" packages from
> security.debian...
>
> What the hack is this? Does the serurity updater always load "stable"
> packages?

There are no security updates for testing, except for brief periods when
we're about to release it as the new stable and the security team start
paying attention to it.

> Will this harm the "testing" installation?

Probably not. Usually the packages in stable-security will have lower
version numbers than those in testing and so won't even be considered
for installation. If they are considered they'll probably be OK; the
worst that's likely to happen is that they won't be installable.

Cheers,