Increasing maximum number of groups

Hello,

Since the maximum number of groups of 32 doesn't fit my needs and I
don't want to use ACL I'm trying to increase the maximum number of
groups to 256 (which should do). So I've edited include/linux/limits.h
and include/linux/limits.h and include/asm-i386/param.h setting
NGROUPS_MAX and NGROUPS to 256. I recompiled, made a new entry in lilo,
ran lilo, rebooted the new kernel, everything works the way it did with
the previous kernel... And when I say everything, I mean everything :(,
the maximum number of groups is still 32. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Ron

PS. I'm not on the list so could you please cc any replies to me?