Re: Re. CD writer

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 07:12:55AM -0700, Sidney Brooks wrote:
| I am reaching a stage of complete frustration in my
| effort to install a CD writer. I have Debian woody
| with a 2.4.22 kernel that I got from www.kernel.org.
| My effort to configure the kernel for the scsi
| emulation always fails.

Here's what worked (very well, I might add) for me:

Configuring the kernel (this is done before compiling the kernel):

    # ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support

    # IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices

    # SCSI support

    # SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)

I included the IDE CD support as a module in case I still wanted to
use it.  The key is to include the IDE-SCSI emulation, and also
include the higher-level SCSI drivers ('sr_mod', 'sd' and 'sg').

Once the kernel is built, install it.  I don't use any special
parameters when booting the kernel.

In /etc/modules I have the following relevant lines :

    # disks
        # SCSI CDROM layer (needed to access the cd (eg by xmms))
        # Generic SCSI layer (needed by cdparanoia)

Note that ide-cd is not loaded, but ide-scsi is.

I have the following in /etc/modutils/Local-dman but since I never
load the ide-cd driver I don't think it really matters.  (it would
matter if you loaded ide-cd to use for some drives but wanted ide-scsi
to handle others)

    options ide-cd  ignore="hdd"

| I still end up with ide not sg
| when I do /proc/devices.

I have both, because I still have IDE disks (hard drives) in the
system :

$ cat /proc/devices
Block devices:
  3 ide0
  7 loop
 11 sr
 22 ide1
 58 lvm

Following the above (including the drivers in the kernel as modules,

$ ls -l /dev/cdrom /dev/cdroms/*
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           13 2003-09-30 23:56 /dev/cdrom -> cdroms/cdrom0
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           34 1969-12-31 19:00 /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 -> ../scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           34 1969-12-31 19:00 /dev/cdroms/cdrom1 -> ../scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd

The files are symlinks to device files with really long paths because
I am also using devfs.  If you are not using devfs then you may need
to manually adjust the /dev/cdrom symlink to point to the appropriate
device node.

Many a man claims to have unfailing love,
but a faithful man who can find?
        Proverbs 20:6