Re: Inputting German, Japanese, and English at the same time?

On Tue, 2003-10-14 at 18:38, Arne Goetje wrote:

> On Tuesday 14 October 2003 22:37, Don Werve wrote:
> > All these messages about getting X and such to properly display
> > international characters got me thinking; does anyone in here have a
> > functioning setup for entering the above three languages in X terminal
> > applications like vim and mutt?  Or, more accurately, does anyone know
> > of a good way to input European languages, while at the same time
> > keeping messages in English and allowing for kinput2-based Japanese
> > input support?
> >
> > I can, of course, set my various locale-related environment variables
> > and get English-and-German or English-and-Japanese, but if I touch
> > almost anything, vim stops talking with Kinput (no japanese), but starts
> > accepting accented German characters (I can again type with umlauts and
> > such).  On top of that, most of my GUI-based X applications, such as
> > Netscape and OO.o, have absolutely no problem with whatever I decide to
> > thow at them.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> AFAIK all asian input methods (IMs) use their own national encodings to create the characters.
> I don't know any of them which supports unicode. For displaying european accents and umlauts together with asian chars you'll need unicode.
> However, I use KDE3 and chinese to write mails and documents. My locale is set to en_US.UTF8 and I start a seperate chinese terminal with zh_TW.Big5 to make xcin putting traditional chinese chars into my apps when I start them from the chinese terminal..
> When I want to use german, I have to disable xcin (change to English mode) and use the keyboard layout choser in KDE to change to german keyboard layout. Then I can input german chars at least into KDE apps, not into konsole, because of the locale settings.
>
> example:
> locale is en_US.UTF8.
> in KDE I start a Big5 xcinterm to get a chinese terminal with xcin as IM. The locale in that terminal is set to zh_TW.Big5.
> - From that terminal I start kmail.
> Now I can either type chinese, or use the KDE keyboard layout choose to change my keyboard to german. Then I can type german umlauts.
> If the mail is sent as UTF8, the receipient will be able to read it as long as he has the correct fonts installed.
>
> I know that for chinese (xcin) unicode support is work in progress.

That is unfortunately the state of things right now.  Everyone is
interested in setting things up for their own countries.

However things are progressing.  Gnome2 now supports multi-lingual
imputs through a kind of an plugin mechanism.  Just right click on a
text area and choose "Input Methods".  Other input methods can be added
to that menu.  On the surface, it's kind of like the Windows IME.

On that's looking promising is the IIIMF, found at:
http://www.openi18n.org/subgroups/im/IIIMF/

There are packages in unstable.

Still kind of buggy with the Japanese server that I use (can't use space
in non-japanese mode), but it's looking better.

I guess the faster we move everyone to Unicode, the better...

Marshal