Inputting German, Japanese, and English at the same time?

All these messages about getting X and such to properly display
international characters got me thinking; does anyone in here have a
functioning setup for entering the above three languages in X terminal
applications like vim and mutt?  Or, more accurately, does anyone know
of a good way to input European languages, while at the same time
keeping messages in English and allowing for kinput2-based Japanese
input support?

I can, of course, set my various locale-related environment variables
and get English-and-German or English-and-Japanese, but if I touch
almost anything, vim stops talking with Kinput (no japanese), but starts
accepting accented German characters (I can again type with umlauts and
such).  On top of that, most of my GUI-based X applications, such as
Netscape and OO.o, have absolutely no problem with whatever I decide to
thow at them.

Any ideas?