Re: Gnome 2 and window manager selection?

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 07:37:38PM -0500, Todd Pytel wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:09:53 -0400
> stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, that's the problem. When I log into a Gnome session, I have no
> > window manager running. I can then get a terminal, and run sawfish,
> > ormetacity. The metacity --replace, did not got it intalled
> > permanently.
>
> To clarify - you can start metacity and it works but doesn't "stick"?
> And no other window manager takes its place in a fresh session? That's
> very strange. If both window managers are functional, GNOME should
> definitely pick one of them when it starts. Sounds like something is
> seriously wrong with your session management. Probably some other
> component isn't installed - do you see any errors of any sort in
> ~/.xsession-errors? You might also try wiping all the GNOME related
> hidden directories in your home dir and starting fresh if you haven't
> tried that already.

Ah, .xsession-errors has a clue. It's trying (and failing) to run
/usr/bin/elightenment,a Acording to dselect, this is not installed. Should
I install it? If I have a choice, I think I like sawfish, at least from the
breif glances I've seen so far.

Thanks for all the help.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin