Re: Driver Download and Installation ATI Proprietary Linux Driver 3.2.8 Download--for those interested

Tom wrote:
On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 02:48:15PM -0600, Harshwardhan Nagaonkar wrote:

Rob Sims wrote:

On Thursday 09 October 2003 07:16 pm, Haralambos Geortgilakis wrote:
<snip>
You can get the latest "unreleased" ATI drivers at:
http://www.schneider-digital.de/html/download_ati.html

Cool. However, ATI has the drivers version 3.2.8 on their site, while Schneider has 3.0.2-x version. I usually tend to go with the manufacturer on this sort of version number difference. Is there some reason to why the version numbers are less on schneider-digital's site? TIA for that.
<snip>
Propriatary drivers for ATI don't bug me -- I mean, if the knowledge
of how to make killer drivers was "in the general community", superfast
graphics boards would be a dime a dozen.  It is qualitatively different
from netcards, hd controllers, even sound, cause it's so bleeding edge.

Oh, I am sorry if my mail seemed like I didn't like proprietary drivers or anything. I myself use the ATI proprietary drivers since they provide better 3d graphics speed.

Also, the point being with closed-source drivers is that even *if* somebody could tweak the drivers to get more speed, they are not able to since they don't have the specifications to the card and/or the source to the original manufacturers drivers.

--
Harshwardhan Nagaonkar
Electrical Engineering Sysop