Re: Licensing requirements ???

    "Joey" == Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

    Joey> Chris Spencer wrote:
    >> That's correct.  You must purchase a MySQL license to use it in
    >> this fashion.  Apache, PHP, and Debian are all fine.  No
    >> purchase is required.
    >>
    >> > What are the repercussions to my client, as a result of this
    >> model?
    >>
    >> Buy MySQL.  Make the product.  Sell the product.

    Joey> The situation you describe would mean that mysql would be
    Joey> non-free, and thus not part of Debian.

mysql is licensed under GPL, but the original poster wanted to keep
certain modifications to the complete application proprietary. To do
this they would have to purchase a commercial license from MySQL AB.

I don't remember how exactly it was done, but the MySQL licensing
terms define any application that uses the database to implement a
major part of its features is deemed a "modification" (or something
similar) of mysql, and so the entire application must be GPL'ed.

Cheers!
Shyamal