Re: Licensing requirements ???

Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net> [2003:10:11:18:26:01-0500] scribed:
>     "Joey" == Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:
>
>     Joey> Chris Spencer wrote:
>     >> That's correct.  You must purchase a MySQL license to use it in
>     >> this fashion.  Apache, PHP, and Debian are all fine.  No
>     >> purchase is required.
>     >>
>     >> > What are the repercussions to my client, as a result of this
>     >> model?
>     >>
>     >> Buy MySQL.  Make the product.  Sell the product.
>
>     Joey> The situation you describe would mean that mysql would be
>     Joey> non-free, and thus not part of Debian.
>
> mysql is licensed under GPL, but the original poster wanted to keep
> certain modifications to the complete application proprietary. To do
> this they would have to purchase a commercial license from MySQL AB.
>
> I don't remember how exactly it was done, but the MySQL licensing
> terms define any application that uses the database to implement a
> major part of its features is deemed a "modification" (or something
> similar) of mysql, and so the entire application must be GPL'ed.

Yes, this is my interpretation of Section 3 at:

   <http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing.html>

My problem is trying to understand the final impact of those words.
Seems to be a difference of opinion on this list; so, I guess I need to
take this up with the MySQL folks.

Nonetheless, consensus on this list indicates that no other piece of
what we are doing is questionable license-wise?

Anybody disagree?

--
Best Regards,

mds