Grub, need to change fstab?

Hi,
I've been messing with grub without accomplishing much, accept an
occasional kernel panic, error fs not found
 and an hour or more rescuing my system.  I let grub do most of the work
on the configuration that follows
 and it actually boots debian, with the SuSE kernel!!!  Damn!!!! I think
I understand that since it plugged in the only
drive/partition it sees. I'm thinking that I need to add my other drive
/dev/hdb and its partitions to fstab. BUT altering
fstab can be fatal to the os, I've learned the hard way, so how would I
do that? Thanks
Oh and I have had the correct partitions listed in grub/menu.1st, but it
can't find the filesystem(s) on hdb.

gfxmenu (hd0,4)/message
color white/blue black/light-gray
default 0
timeout 8

title linux
    kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7   vga=791
    initrd (hd0,4)/initrd

title floppy
    root (fd0)
    chainloader +1

title failsafe
    kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz.shipped root=/dev/hda7 ide=nodma apm=off
acpi=off vga=normal nosmp maxcpus=0 disableapic 3
    initrd (hd0,4)/initrd.shipped

title windows_me
    root (hd0)
    chainloader +1
    makeactive

title debian3.0
    kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb5

title slackware9.0
    kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb2

***Protect your PC from local E-Mail Application security holes***
***Maintain your Privacy - MS Passport Free***
***Anti SPAM "Whitelist" feature***

http://www.x-mail.net Web Based E-Mail, accessible anywhere

Voice Messages, Voice Calls (VoIP), Video Conferencing, Live Chat,
X-Mail Messenger, Personal Web Hosting, 128 bit SSL Secure,
Calendar, Bookmarks, Forwarding, Virtual Mail Map Aliasing

X-Mail Premium: 20MB Messages, 100MB Storage, SMTP, POP3, Ad Free
Anonymous Web Surfing http://www.snoopblocker.com
Search http://www.teradex.com