Re: Grub, need to change fstab?

J Y <jhy@x-mail.net> writes:

> I've been messing with grub without accomplishing much, accept an
> occasional kernel panic, error fs not found
>  and an hour or more rescuing my system.  I let grub do most of the work
> on the configuration that follows
>  and it actually boots debian, with the SuSE kernel!!!

Well, your configuration is a little unconventional.  What I take from
all of this is that you have a kernel in /dev/hda5 that you always
always want to use; extrapolating from your configuration below,
that's probably your SuSE /boot partition.  I'd rewrite some of these,
though:

> title linux
>     kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7   vga=791
>     initrd (hd0,4)/initrd

title linux
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda7 vga=791
    initrd /initrd

(Since you specify a root for GRUB, it implicitly uses that partition,
/dev/hda5, for files it looks for.)

> title debian3.0
>     kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb5

"Boot from the kernel on /dev/hda5, without an initrd, and have it use
/dev/hdb5 as the root partition."  Are you sure you don't mean:

title debian3.0
    root (hd1,4)
    kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb5
    initrd /initrd.img

> title slackware9.0
>     kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb2

title slackware9.0
    root (hd1,1)
    kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb2

> ***Protect your PC from local E-Mail Application security holes***
> ***Maintain your Privacy - MS Passport Free***
> ***Anti SPAM "Whitelist" feature***
>
> http://www.x-mail.net Web Based E-Mail, accessible anywhere
>
> Voice Messages, Voice Calls (VoIP), Video Conferencing, Live Chat,
> X-Mail Messenger, Personal Web Hosting, 128 bit SSL Secure,
> Calendar, Bookmarks, Forwarding, Virtual Mail Map Aliasing
>
> X-Mail Premium: 20MB Messages, 100MB Storage, SMTP, POP3, Ad Free
> Anonymous Web Surfing http://www.snoopblocker.com
> Search http://www.teradex.com

You might, uh, try to trim the signature a little, or find a more
reputable mail provider.  As much as Hotmail sucks, they put less than
four lines of ad on outgoing messages.

	-- Abra Mitchell