Re: Installing a kernel off CD-ROM

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:20, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Hello
>
> cr (<cr@orcon.net.nz>) wrote:
> > Is there any way to install a kernel on the hard drive off the install
> > CD-ROMs   (without going through the whole Install process)?
> >
> > Currently, I have the 2.4.18-k6  kernel installed on my hard drive,
> > but it doesn't seem to have ppp enabled   (dmesg brings up no mention
> > of ppp). I'm a little surprised, I would've thought a kernel I
> > downloaded as a .deb off debian.org would have ppp enabled, but
> > still...
> > (did I do something wrong during the install, I wonder?)
>
> Check if the ppp support is built as modules. On my system (self
> compiled kernel with ppp support as modules), the following modules are
> loaded:
>
> sirius:/home/andreas# lsmod | grep ppp
> ppp_deflate             3008   1  (autoclean)
> zlib_inflate           18592   0  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
> zlib_deflate           17984   0  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
> ppp_async               6624   1  (autoclean)
> ppp_generic            17164   3  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp
> ppp_async]
> slhc                    4704   1  (autoclean) [ppp_generic]

No, nothing for ppp (or PPP)

> A quick search on <http://packages.debian.org> shows that your kernel
> package has the ppp_async.o module (I didn't check for the other ones).
>
> Try this to find out:
>
> cat /boot/config-2.4.18-k6 | grep PPP

Yes....

alti:/etc/modutils# cat /boot/config-2.4.18-1-k6 | grep PPP
CONFIG_PPP=m
CONFIG_PPP_MULTILINK=y
CONFIG_PPP_FILTER=y
CONFIG_PPP_ASYNC=m
CONFIG_PPP_SYNC_TTY=m
CONFIG_PPP_DEFLATE=m
CONFIG_PPP_BSDCOMP=m
CONFIG_PPPOE=m
CONFIG_PPPOATM=m
CONFIG_COMX_PROTO_PPP=m
CONFIG_SYNCLINK_SYNCPPP=m
CONFIG_HDLC_PPP=y
CONFIG_WANPIPE_PPP=y
CONFIG_WANPIPE_MULTPPP=y
CONFIG_ISDN_PPP=y
CONFIG_ISDN_PPP_VJ=y
CONFIG_ISDN_PPP_BSDCOMP=m

> On my system, these drivers are loaded automatically. There is a file
> /etc/modutils/ppp with the following lines:
>
> alias /dev/ppp          ppp_generic
> alias char-major-108    ppp_generic
> alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp_async
> alias tty-ldisc-14      ppp_synctty
> alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
> alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
> alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate
>
> Please check your /etc/modutils/ppp file and your /etc/modules.conf to
> make sure it also has these lines (if not, try to run update-modules).

Yes:

alti:/etc/modutils# less ppp
alias /dev/ppp          ppp_generic
alias char-major-108    ppp_generic
alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14      ppp_synctty
alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate

and /etc/modules.conf  is the same:
### update-modules: start processing /etc/modutils/ppp
alias /dev/ppp          ppp_generic
alias char-major-108    ppp_generic
alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14      ppp_synctty
alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate

What does this mean?   I downloaded the kernel as a .deb from debian.org.
I installed it (IIRC) with Kpackage or with dpkg.
I can't recall whether it asked me any questions about what to include when I
installed it, or not.

As a check, I just uninstalled my older 2.4.16-k6 kernel (which I don't
normally use any more) and reinstalled it with
dpkg -i  /<path>/kernel-image-2.4.16-k6_2.4.16-1_i386.deb
the only questions it asked me were whether I wanted to use Lilo  (no).
It gives exactly the same results for the ppp modules as the 2.4.18 kernel
(above).

Kppp dials my ISP and makes connection as it should - just that it isn't
communicating with Kmail or browsers.

When I boot off the bf2.4 kernel on the floppy, I got no response to
lsmod | grep ppp   before I tried dialling my ISP, but kppp dialled
OK and communicated with Kmail successfully and now I get :

alti:/home/cr# lsmod | grep ppp
ppp_deflate            38944   0  (autoclean)
ppp_async               6464   0  (autoclean)
ppp_generic            18728   0  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async]
slhc                    4432   0  (autoclean) [ppp_generic]

So, I'm a bit puzzled.

> > If I want to reach the Internet I currently have to boot the
> > 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel off the world's slowest floppy boot disk   ;)
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Anyway, back to the CD-ROM, is there any way to use the kernel images
> > on that to just put a   vmlinuz-xxx   in  /boot    that I can call
> > with Grub, without going through the Install process again   (because
> > last time I did that, I broke things  :(
> >
> > Or do I need to do another 5MB download of a .deb from  debian.org?
>
> First, you can use apt-get to install the package for the 2.4bf version.
> It is located on the fifth CD. Second, I wouldn't use it because the
> kernel images from the Woody r0 and r1 CDs have several security
> issues, so I would use an updated version from security.debian.org.
> Please note that the bf24 package still has the same name, the other
> updated 2.4 packages however have slightly different names. So if you
> want to update your current kernel package, you have to install
> kernel-image-2.4.18-1-k6.
>
> best regards
>         Andreas Janssen

In fact, I am using the 2.4.18-1-k6 kernel (I was a bit sloppy quoting it
before, sorry).   I also have the 2.4.16-k6 kernel installed, it gives the
same results so far as ppp is concerned.  I only have disks 1 and 2 of Woody,
since all the packages I want are on those two disks (except, IIRC, Kppp
which I downloaded off debian.org).   It seems kernel images are on disk 1,
packages on disk 5.

But anyway, it looks as if the k6 kernel I've got *should* do ppp   OK, if
set up right.

Regards

cr