Installing a kernel off CD-ROM

Is there any way to install a kernel on the hard drive off the install
CD-ROMs   (without going through the whole Install process)?

Currently, I have the 2.4.18-k6  kernel installed on my hard drive, but it
doesn't seem to have ppp enabled   (dmesg brings up no mention of ppp).
I'm a little surprised, I would've thought a kernel I downloaded as a .deb
off debian.org would have ppp enabled, but still...    (did I do something
wrong during the install, I wonder?)

If I want to reach the Internet I currently have to boot the 2.4.18-bf2.4
kernel off the world's slowest floppy boot disk   ;)

Plus, floppy booting, it doesn't read  Grub's  menu.lst  so never invokes
hdb=ide-scsi  that I need for cdrecord, though I assume I could change
syslinux.cfg on the floppy:
DISPLAY message.txt
TIMEOUT 40
PROMPT 1
DEFAULT linux.bin
APPEND root=/dev/hdc2 ro

by changing the last line to

APPEND root=/dev/hdc2  dhb=ide-scsi  ro

Anyway, back to the CD-ROM, is there any way to use the kernel images on that
to just put a   vmlinuz-xxx   in  /boot    that I can call with Grub, without
going through the Install process again   (because last time I did that, I
broke things  :(

Or do I need to do another 5MB download of a .deb from  debian.org?

Regards

cr