Re: Incorrect system time

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 22:50, Clive Menzies wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is related but I found (I'm in London on British
> Summer Time ie GMT +1) that if when configuring the base system I
> selected yes to "Set Hardware Clock to GMT", Debian would be an hour
> out.

The hardware clock should always be set to UTC (formerly GMT).

Then you should select the appropriate timezone (e.g. Europe/London).
(Consider a machine which is being used by people in different
countries; the machine has a default timezone, but each user can set a
session timezone to suit his own location:

        olly@linda$ export TZ=Australia/Sydney
        olly@linda$ date
        Wed Oct  8 15:38:15 EST 2003
        olly@linda$ unset TZ
        olly@linda$ date
        Wed Oct  8 06:38:25 BST 2003

The only time you want the hardware clock on local time is when you are
dual-booting Windows, since Windows runs with local time in the hardware
clock.

     "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of
      God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither
      tempteth he any man; But every man is tempted, when he
      is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed."
                                       James 1:13,14