Incorrect system time

I have two knoppix systems with the same problem. The time returned by "date" does not match the timestamps shown in the logfiles. I've run "tzconfig" and changed the timezone to US/Pacific. I've used "ntpdate" to update the time with a valid timeserver. All indications are that my setup is correct. /etc/localtime symlinks to the proper file in /usr/share/... But all my cron jobs run at the wrong time and the timestamps in the logs are all 9 hours ahead.