Re: Web-based e-mail system?

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 08:54:10PM -0400, Neal Lippman wrote:

> > Does anyone know of a package that can put mbox mail on the web? It
> > sounds kind of silly, given the inefficiency of mbox, so I'm not
> > holding high hopes, but if anyone has info. about it, that'd be great.

I know it's super cheesy, but when I went on vacation, I just wrote a
bash script to encrypt my mbox, gzip it, write a little message
count/status html page, and ftp it up to ISP-provided personal website.

The ISP wouldn't let me run server-side code, so I used a
guestbook-feature to trigger an email with a certain subject.  When the
script detected that email, it archived and reset the mbox.

I ran it from a cron script and set my computer to auto-power-on if the
power failed.  It worked.