Re: How to kill X?

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 04:42, Pigeon wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 02:42:17AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 11:37:19PM +1200, cr wrote:
> > > I just had a sieze in X, and Ctrl-Alt-F? had no effect,
> > > Ctrl-Alt-Backspace was the only key combination that worked.     Is
> > > there any setting that will restore its function of 'kill X but don't
> > > reboot the machine'  or any other key combination that achieves that?
> >
> > Disable rebooting in the bios?
>
> That'll stop the rebooting... however I have an unpleasant suspicion
> that if the box is so wedged that Ctrl-Alt-F? doesn't work,
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace won't work either (I don't intend to try and induce
> a seizure to verify this :-) ) - ie. the reason Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
> 'worked' was that the BIOS caught it. It may still be possible to log in
> remotely and shut down; if not the best workaround until you can find
> what's causing the seizures might be to use a journalling filesystem
> like ext3.

Actually, thinking back on it, what I used to get way back then was not so
much a siezure of X as cascading errorboxes from one application...   which
eventually, if left to continue, would hang the computer.   Ctrl-Alt-BS
worked on that.    What I had the other day was more like a sieze, everything
'locked up'  (except Ctrl-Alt-BS which cut the power).   Whether Ctrl-Alt-BS
will now work to drop me  back to the command line, or just have no effect at
all (since I've now disabled the 'Hot Key Function' in the BIOS), I'll only
find out if and when I have another sieze.

I've only had one sieze in recent times, what I've had several of recently is
sudden complete power cut - possibly a power supply fault.   Either way, it
has the same effect of discombobulating my hard drive so I have to do a lot
of fscking on startup again.    Occasionally this completely munges my X
setup.
I was thinking the best precaution might be to occasionally copy /etc, /root
and maybe /home/cr  (are those the appropriate directories?) to a directory
on another drive, which is unlikely to have files open at the time of a
crash, and just copy them back if I need to to restore my settings.