Re: How to kill X?

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 02:42:17AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 11:37:19PM +1200, cr wrote:
> > I just had a sieze in X, and Ctrl-Alt-F? had no effect, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
> > was the only key combination that worked.     Is there any setting that will
> > restore its function of 'kill X but don't reboot the machine'  or any other
> > key combination that achieves that?
>
> Disable rebooting in the bios?

That'll stop the rebooting... however I have an unpleasant suspicion
that if the box is so wedged that Ctrl-Alt-F? doesn't work,
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace won't work either (I don't intend to try and induce
a seizure to verify this :-) ) - ie. the reason Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
'worked' was that the BIOS caught it. It may still be possible to log in
remotely and shut down; if not the best workaround until you can find
what's causing the seizures might be to use a journalling filesystem
like ext3.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons