Re: How to kill X?

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 02:46, Kent West wrote:
> Neo wrote:
> >On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 13:37, cr wrote:
> >>Way back in the days of RedHat 5 or thereabouts, whenever X siezed for
> >> any reason, I could kill it with Alt-Ctrl-Backspace and end up back in
> >> the command line.
>
> This is Debian's behaviour also.
>
> >>However, since I got more sophisticated hardware with an ATX power
> >> supply, Ctrl-Alt-Backspace turns the machine off (or reboots it), with
> >> consequent fscking of the drives, which is a pain.
>
> This is odd. I've never heard of such a thing. As someone else
> mentioned, perhaps this is a key combination that your BIOS has reserved
> for a reset, although I've never heard of such a BIOS.

After I posted my query, and before I read these, it did occur to me that it
might be a BIOS setting (as you suggest), and it was.

It's an Award BIOS, and I changed 'Hot Key Function' from 'Power Off' to
'Disable'    (meaning, disable the hot key I presume).   Nowhere in the BIOS
setup does it say what the hot key combination is, but I guess
Alt-Ctrl-Backspace is it.

Anyway, *now*, Ctrl-Alt-BS does indeed just kill X and leave me in Linux as
it should.    However, whether it'll still work if X 'siezes' I'll only know
if and when I have a sieze.

Thanks

Chris