Re: A novice having trouble with X window on install

Charles Forelle wrote:
Michael,

Thanks. I ran xf86config as you suggested, selecting the generic video card
option since I didn't see mine (Intel chipset 82810E) in the list. (I
checked XF86Config file, and it just put vga in for the driver. I tried
startx 'which twm'

This is what I got back:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: /usr/bin/X11/X: No such file or
directory
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: /usr/bin/X11/X: cannot execute: No such
file or directory
giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

Now, I do have a /usr/bin/X11 directory, and there's lots of stuff in it,
but apparently not a file called 'X'

That seems like a problem, right? I didn't do anything fancy, just used the
Debian installer.

Thanks,

Charles.

Charles,

I had the same problem - I ditched my last computer, built a new box and installed Windows XP (to get the CD Debian) installed Woody 2.4 kernel and failed to get X started. The output on booting, when asked if I would like to look at the errors, was a blank screen, and the same error as you wrote above.

This means that you have not installed all the components required - I suspect (in my case) it occured when I was less careful with dselect.

I solved the problem by dselect as root, downloading the xfree86-xserver and associated files. Installed as expected. The error output (see below) showed that at least I had X in the directory!

I have another problem though - I use a GeForce AGP card (GeForce 4 MX-440...) I went to http://www.nvidia.com/ and downloaded the driver, which should install automatically (sh NVIDIA_ etc.run) but was cruelly rebuffed, as apparantly I lack the kernel headers. Has anyone here recently solved that problem? If so, I would apprciate a walk-through.

Regards,

Brian Walker