Re: Re: A novice having trouble with X window on install

Michael,

Thanks. I ran xf86config as you suggested, selecting the generic video card
option since I didn't see mine (Intel chipset 82810E) in the list. (I
checked XF86Config file, and it just put vga in for the driver. I tried
startx 'which twm'

This is what I got back:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: /usr/bin/X11/X: No such file or
directory
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc: /usr/bin/X11/X: cannot execute: No such
file or directory
giving up.
xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

Now, I do have a /usr/bin/X11 directory, and there's lots of stuff in it,
but apparently not a file called 'X'

That seems like a problem, right? I didn't do anything fancy, just used the
Debian installer.

Thanks,

Charles.