Re: Adding a user with a dot (.) in his name: How?

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:27:13 -0400,
Travis Crump <pretzalz@techhouse.org> wrote in message
<[🔎] 3F7D9551.5020709@techhouse.org>:

> Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > on Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 03:58:55AM +0200, Arnt Karlsen
> > (arnt@c2i.net) wrote:
> >
> >>On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:48:41 +0100,

> >>..excellent.  Urls to RFC etc to ram down idiot isp throats?
> >

> > Well, the issue is specific to GNU/Linux / Unix user IDs.  Other OSs
> > may have different legal names.
> >
> > In this case, the appropriate approach IMO is what I suggested
> > previously:  create a conformance mapping between the external and
> > local name(s).  Sometimes you've got to roll with things and be a
> > little flexible.
> >
> > Peace.
> >

> To be clear, use of '.' as a delimiter is deprecated in favor of ':'.
> As long as you always use ':' as your delimiter, chown at least has no
> problems with .'s in ids.

..my issue with "." in usernames is _I_ get other peoples email because
my pop3 service provider boxes are managed by idiots. Allright, their
support monkeys are _nice_, the last one put a few hundred Swen "mail"s
in the webmail's "trash folder" on trying to delete it.  ;-)

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: