Re: Spam, exim, .forward vs. procmail

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 17:06, Paul Mackinney wrote:
> I've been reading the various spam threads, I'm certainly
> getting my share of hits from the various worms going
> around. Clearly I can do better can people provide some
> clear recommendations?
>
> Currently I'm using exim, receiving w/fetchmail and
> sending to smarthost. I've learned how to write and
> test an exim-compatible .forward file that works
> fairly well, although I keep having to add more rules
> as the attributions for the fake MS updates keep changing
> (really I have to go back to the docs and see if I can
> filter out any message with a *.exe or *.pif attachment.)
>
> So one question is: does procmail really work better or
> provide more features than .forward? Is it worth
> investing the time and energy to learn how to write
> procmail filters?
>
> A second question is: I understand that if you install
> and configure the mailfilter package, that you can use
> mutt to initiate your pop connections and filter mail
> at the server. I have broadband, do I really care about
> this option? I'd always understood that having mutt
> run your pop connections was basically an option for
> people running PPP.
>
> Finally: I'm poised to start running a 24x7 server for
> the first time, I'm contemplating making it a true
> mailserver for incoming and outgoing. I'm sure I'll be
> learning all about spamassassin, do people have any
> advice about gotchas, must-have packages, or best
> books?

apt-get install ( courier-maildrop | maildrop )

maildrop works and it's rules are much easier to write and understand.

SpamAssassin just works. (remember in Debian the customization is
/etc/spamassassin) any change you want to make in
/usr/share/spamassassin/*.cf can be put in /etc/spamassassin/local.cf
(of any other name .cf)
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The perils of your eyelashes torture my libido into a state of crass
belief in Roman Catholicism.