Re: Adding a user with a dot (.) in his name: How?

Karsten M. Self wrote:
on Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 03:58:55AM +0200, Arnt Karlsen (arnt@c2i.net) wrote:

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 00:48:41 +0100, "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message <20030929234841.GG3497@guildenstern.dyndns.org>:

on Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 09:58:38PM +0200, Andreas Schildbach
(andreas@schildbach.de) wrote:

Hello everyone,

For compatibility reasons, I need to add a user with a dot (.) in
his name. "adduser" does not allow this, even if I invoke it with
the parameter "--force-badname".

The '.' character is used as a delimiter between username and group.
I'd recommend you not do this.  There are means of creating
conformance mappings between userids on various systems, I'd
suggestion you look
into these.

..excellent.  Urls to RFC etc to ram down idiot isp throats?

Well, the issue is specific to GNU/Linux / Unix user IDs.  Other OSs may
have different legal names.

In this case, the appropriate approach IMO is what I suggested
previously:  create a conformance mapping between the external and local
name(s).  Sometimes you've got to roll with things and be a little
flexible.

Peace.

To be clear, use of '.' as a delimiter is deprecated in favor of ':'. As long as you always use ':' as your delimiter, chown at least has no problems with .'s in ids.