Re: Spam, exim, .forward vs. procmail

On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 09:06:31PM +0000, Paul Mackinney wrote:
> I've been reading the various spam threads, I'm certainly
> getting my share of hits from the various worms going
> around. Clearly I can do better can people provide some
> clear recommendations?
>
> Currently I'm using exim, receiving w/fetchmail and
> sending to smarthost. I've learned how to write and
> test an exim-compatible .forward file that works
> fairly well, although I keep having to add more rules
> as the attributions for the fake MS updates keep changing
> (really I have to go back to the docs and see if I can
> filter out any message with a *.exe or *.pif attachment.)
>
> So one question is: does procmail really work better or
> provide more features than .forward? Is it worth
> investing the time and energy to learn how to write
> procmail filters?

IMO - a) Yes b) No. .forward and little shell scripts perform for me
functions for which other people occasionallly post procmail recipes,
and save the effort of learning a third package with Sanskrit config
syntax. YMMV.

> A second question is: I understand that if you install
> and configure the mailfilter package, that you can use
> mutt to initiate your pop connections and filter mail
> at the server. I have broadband, do I really care about
> this option? I'd always understood that having mutt
> run your pop connections was basically an option for
> people running PPP.

s/that.*,//  Mutt and mailfilter do not depend on each other.

You care about this if you use POP to get your mail...

> Finally: I'm poised to start running a 24x7 server for
> the first time, I'm contemplating making it a true
> mailserver for incoming and outgoing.

...in this case you don't care. You can reject the viruses and other
rubbish at SMTP time.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons