Re: Installation has not created boot properly

From: Kent West <westk@acu.edu>

I installed Debian Linux on my Windows PC yesterday. Everything seemed to go smoothly, except it hasn't created the boot sector properly. Booting from the hard disk it gets as far as displaying the following:

Booting from IDE 0

LI

And it freezes. I can boot fine from the rescue disk. Does anyone have any ideas why this happens/ how to fix it?

Probably either:
1) LILO failed to properly write the boot sector; just re-run "lilo" to see if that fixes the problem.

2) LILO is misconfigured; post /etc/lilo.conf for us to peruse.

Well, after several attempts at re-running LILO, it still didn't get any further. So, needing my PC in some kind of working order I set about repairing the Win2000 boot sector... And got exactly the same as my post-Linux install boot attempts. In the end (after running round the room panicking quite a lot) I found out about, and ran FIXMBR from the Windows recovery disks. It worked (easing my heart condition somewhat!)

So.... it appears LILO is doing something nasty with my disk's MBR. Any suggestions where I could go from here? Are there other Linux boot programs I could try? Do you need any technical details about my system to help? (I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to system type stuff).

In case it's this, here's my lilo.conf (with comments taken out):

lba32
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hdd1
install=/boot/boot-menu.b