Re: Help, OSX vs Linux

Hey Mike,

Sounds like you are looking for some weight for your
argument that debian is the best. For some apps yes!
But in a situation with these macs you may be better
off getting a mix of OSX servers and some debian boxes
for the PCs.

I have worked with OS X server version 10.1.4 and it
was unstable as hell, had huge problems if it wansnt
running DNS or didnt have a name server on its local
network (so bad that it would lock us out of the
machine randomly). I aslo saw some it produce a stop
screen that made me appreciate how nice the shade of
blue a MS stop screen looked like.

In the end however the system did get up and running
and hasnt had any problems since. Running as a
file/web server.

OS X.2 jaguar is the latest version of the mac os.
With it you can install fink a port of apt and
dselect, with which you can install all sorts of unix
packages all compiled and configured to run under OS
X. You can also install X windows server and client to
run Xapps in their own windows along side the apple
apps (very trick).

OS X also uses the NetInfo database for much of its
authentication/configuration data. Its sort of like a
cross between the MS registry and Active Directory.

OS X is not the endallbeall of server OSs but it is a
huge jump from what OS 9 was. Consider taking a second
look at it. It may fill your needs perfectly,
specially with fink  ;-)

http://fink.sourceforge.net

Aaron