Re: Holy Spam!

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 12:13:28 -0400 (EDT), Jon Earle said:

> I sent _one_ post to the debian-users list yesterday.  One.  I neglected
>  to use an alias I'd created for posting to that list, and, due to their
>  open posting policy and their email-usenet gateway and the availability of
>  addresses in the clear within the list archives, within _minutes_, I
>  started receiving viruses, spam and other crap.  My mail logs since
>  yesterday show a _ton_ of crap coming at me now!  Unbelievable!
>
>  This open list policy that so many lists have, while it _may_, and I'm
>  placing a lot of faith and emphasis on the 'may', offer the occasional
>  newbie or (individual who couldn't be bothered to subscribe multiple
>  addresses) the ability to post[1], that, coupled with gatewaying to news,
>  I feel is just plain irresponsible.  It's a _very_ poorly thought out
>  policy that I feel does more to harm the list community that help
>  (particularly the list gateway to news).
>
>  I understand their is a passion and an almost a cult-like religion to keep
>  things completely open, free, unencumbered, unfettered, etc, however,
>  _controls_, not restrictions, are neccessary to ensure the integrity of
>  the list environment.  Users don't want spam, and they do want their
>  service providers to take reasonable, not intrusive, but reasonable
>  measures to reduce or eliminate their exposure to the spam industry.
>
>  I've been forced to change my email address, thanks to the debian mailing
>  list.  Is this a positive result of the desire for openness?
>
>  Cheers!
>  Jon
>
>  [1] Once the message is posted, how does said newbie receive replies if
>  those helping just reply to the list.  The whole policy makes _no_ sense
>  whatsoever.
>
>  --
>  Jon Earle
>
>  SAVE FARSCAPE http://www.savefarscape.com/
>
>  Vegetarian - an old Indian word meaning 'lousy hunter'.
>

>  --
mail client.
As far as the spam goes, you're not supposed to avoid it. I've been sitting
back and watching people on this list hack their way round the situation.
If you look back over the recent archival history, you will see scripts that
have been created that have seen some of these people spamless. It has gone a
long way towards helping configure mailing formats too. If you isolate yourself
too much from the environment, you become ill suited to survive in it. The
story of the human race.
Regards,

David.