sound woes with kernel 2.6.0 and 865 chipset

I'm running kernel 2.6.0-test4 on my Abit IS7 mobo (Intel 865 chipset).
I'm trying to get ALSA sound working, and I'm having a devil of a time
of it.

I have ALSA sound enabled in my kernel.  Abit (and also Realtek, who
make the integrated AC650 sound chip) offers an AC'97 codec module to be
downloaded and installed.  But I can't get the thing to compile; I get
complaints about missing modversions.h.  I can't run 'make dep' to make
modversions.h now; I just get a message saying 'make dep' is deprecated.

OTOH, some of my applications do make sound.  E.g. I can get some test
sounds out of KDE.  But most of the time I get no sound, and my syslog
is filled with error messages about 'module soundcore not found' --
though lsmod shows me it's already inserted in the kernel.

All of this is deeply confusing.  I don't understand sound very well
anyway, and this isn't helping.  If anyone who has this same hardware
and kernel could tell me how they got their sound working, I'd be
grateful.

Thanks,
Andrew.