Re: [OT] kernel versioning: extra suffixes

Thanks for the reply

Marc Wilson wrote:
On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 05:54:25PM +0300, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

where can we find the meaning of the extra suffixes for the kernel vesrioning (e.g, -ac, -preN, -bkN) ?

Not sure that there's even a canonical list, or that there would need to be
since these are rather obvious, after all...

Anyway:

    -ac     = an Alan Cox kernel, usually numbered
    -preN   = a pre-release kernel, #N in a series
    -bkN    = a BitKeeper snapshot, #N in a series

As the versioning of the kernel is very rational I though that
the extra suffixes was very rational as well: I was confused for
both `-ac' (Aternating Current or ACtinum ?) and `-bk' (BeRkelium ?),
`-pre' being rather obvious indeed.

Thanks,
Jerome