Re: Anyone else notice that Swen is slowing down?

ScruLoose wrote:

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 07:56:07PM -0500, Michael D Schleif wrote:
What I am saying is -- IMHO -- especially in light of the problems that
I have experienced with Swen, auto-executing virus/worms are only *part*
of the problem.  Social engineering is often scoffed at as a real
threat; but, what we see with Swen is so real looking that people I know
have actually __manually__ clicked on those attachments!

Of course, there's also the fact that since they run Windows, they are
of necessity logged in with admin privileges *all* the time, so it only
takes one click to install an executable that then has full access to
the system, including network devices...
Even with Windows XP Pro, I work with people who have it set in their minds that they'd rather always be an Administrator/Power User to avoid the once-in-a-while hassle of typing a password to install a program or update than run as a normal user for the most part and be a little more protected from these problems.

No they'd rather fume when they have to restore/reinstall or deal with the constant annoyingness of their virus scanner that complains if they try to send more than one email at a time, or happen to send the same message to a few different people. One of them had his DNS settings changed the other day and he coudn't figure out how that had happened. It's like it's "cool" to have full control and even "cool" to remove a virus.

*boggle*

I think the problem is they worked with Win9x for too long, or often think they live in the relatively safe world of late 80's early 90's networked computing. It blows me away that others like to work like this and want to share the root of their systems to avoid occasional permission issues. They really have issues dealing with user/group based permissions.

I grew up with Macs and disliked the fact that my desktop was always changing (on the other hand I never knew what an IRQ conflict was).

Win9x pretended to keep my files and desktop seperate, but still others could 'clean up' and delete my work. There was also the dumbness of having 2-3 desktop backgrounds appear as you booted up and logged in.

When I installed my first Linux distro on an x86 I was hooked. That was how a computer system should work!

Maybe a few more years and more people will catch on to the idea of checking file permissions and learn appreciate them.

--
Jacob