Re: Debian Desktop for a Joe Average

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 21:33, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 08:07:53AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Gak!  And send him into Dependency Hell?
>
> That's nonsense.  People like to throw that crap out, but users cause it
> for themselves when they install RPM's from random places, same as Debian
> users cause it for themselves when they install DEB's from random places.

How have you managed to get dependency problems with debian, unless you
install using dpkg, which I think should still tell you and stop if
there is a dependency problem.
I install packages from all over the place and never ran into a
dependency problem. The trick is to use apt and not dpkg.
On mandrake it took me a week to get the system into an unworkable state
using just the rpmfind site.

--
Micha Feigin
michf@math.tau.ac.il