Re: Debian Desktop for a Joe Average

Marc Wilson wrote:

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 08:07:53AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
Gak!  And send him into Dependency Hell?

That's nonsense.  People like to throw that crap out, but users cause it
for themselves when they install RPM's from random places, same as Debian
users cause it for themselves when they install DEB's from random places.

Not that I recommend DeadRat to anyone, but Joe User isn't going to be
going to rpmfind.net or anywhere else and installing random junk.

Ok, maybe it's just me beeing fucking stupid, I don't know, but I have found that RPM's from the original cd works just fine, but when trying to upgrade to something
newer than whats on the original install-cd you run into problems.
I once tried to upgrade gnome via RPMs, after a few rounds of having to go online to
downloads new dep's I had two screens of dep-errors....
As I currently run some RedHat systems I would be happy if you could tell me how
to avoid this.

Sturla