ttyS* problems

I'm running debian-sid and I have a old Camedia digitalcamera that connects through the serial port. When I try to download pictures from it with gphoto, digikam or use wine to run the program that came along with the camera the camera isen't reconiced most of the time and some times the first picture starts to download and then the connection is lost.
This is the output from dmesg:
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

If I log in to my old RH7.3 it works with out any problems so the camera, the cable and the serial ports are ok.
Is there anyone who got a clue to what causes this problem.

Regards Zeke
--
Cattle die, kinsmen die, thyself too soon must die,
     but one thing never, I ween, will die,