Base system

Hi all,

I've installed Debian for the first time and after the installation of the base
system and the first boot I had 86MB used. After that, the post-boot dselect
installed more packages, e.g perl, python. I did not select any package, I just
exited dselect. Are these default packages really necessary and part of the
base system? Where does the list come from? Does dselect use the base system,
checks the dependencies and install these other packages?

Thanks,

Henry