Re: Diff btw GeForce4 and RIVA TNT2?

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 12:42, David Z Maze wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > The monitors are samsungs 17" but the cards are
> > different: one is a RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 and
> > the other a GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x.
> >
> > I notice no difference between the 2 other than that I
> > paid $25 more for the MX440.
>
> The last time I bought a video card, I bought an MX440 on the grounds
> that the packaging claimed it was strictly superior to the other card
> I bought, and even though it was $20 more expensive there was a $20
> rebate too.  :-)
>
> > I would like to see the difference between the two
> > with some application: but I am a no-gamer nurd.
> >
> > Anybody know of an app/game that would show clearly
> > what the difference between these 2 cards is?
>
> Anything that does 3-D rendering.  tuxracer is fun and
> straightforward.  You also might look at the plugins in the
> xscreensaver-gl package, and run something like
> '/usr/lib/xscreensaver/gears -fps' to get a frame rate from each.  To
> do these usefully, though, you'll need kernel support for your video
> card, which for the NVidia card will involve a non-free driver; make
> sure that, when you run 'glxinfo', it says "direct rendering: Yes"
> towards the beginning of its output.

With the binary nvidia driver, my TNT2 M64 got to ~800fps in glxgears.
It made tuxracer *very* playable.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment
by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."
Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)