Re: OT: Spam was Re: Spamassassin Configuration

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 12:06:47AM -0600, Jacob Anawalt wrote:
> ScruLoose wrote:
>
> >As others have noted, virus traffic is not actually the same as
> >spam-traffic, and you might want a particular tool for each job...

<SNIP>
> Back on topic, I agree that it is important to realize that different
> tools may be more effective against different forms of Spam.

Which is really all I was getting at. They're both equally
unwelcome, and as I mentioned, I personally let spamassassin regard it
all as spam. It may not be the most technically perfect way, but it
seems to work well enough for me.

> P.S. Is the +debuser working to help you avoid Spam?

Interesting you should mention that, actually. I had a filter set up
for a while  so any non-debian-user message that came to that address
was dumped into the spam folder. After a few months, this had caught
several off-list replies, and there wasn't actually any spam coming to
the address.  So when I installed SA (recently) I dropped that filter.

Now, however, I'm noticing that *all* of the swen traffic I'm receiving
is to the +debuser address, so I'm wondering about switching to a
different suffix and /dev/null-ing mail addressed to the old one.
Basically a variation on the disposable-address trick.

Or I could take the plunge and switch to an address on my own domain,
on my own mailserver. (The current one is hosted by my ISP.)
But if I do that, I'll be all tempted to upgrade to exim4 with the
funky integration with SA to do SMTP-rejects for mail that fails SA's
scan... And school requires too much of my time to be getting into a
project like that right now.

	Cheers!
--