Re: Debian uptime 497 days

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 10:49, Kyle Loree wrote:
> I have two Debian severs that were installed on kernel 2.2.x and are
> now 2.4.17-686-smp.
>
> one has seemed to have been restarted.
> 09:41:45 up 2 days,  4:26,
>
> in reading http://e-zine.nluug.nl/hold.html?cid=158  the uptime
> returns to zero after 497 days, 2 hours, 27 minutes and 53 seconds
> it states that it is only a kernel 2.2.x bug, but according to
> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg49872.html
> is it still in the debian kernel.  Has it been, or will it be removed
> in 2.6 ?
>
> the other system is at 486 days 16 hours 36 minutes, and I expect that
> it will do the rollover in another 11 days.
> is there anything I can do so that the uptime will be retained?

Not a bug, but the limitation of 32-bit integers.  The kernel
"ticker" has a resolution of 1/100th of a second.  Thus, a little
math will show you that it takes 497 days, 2 hours, 27 minutes and
53 seconds worth of 1/100th of a second ticks to reach 2^32.
After that happens, the counter has no choice but to "roll over"
to zero, like the odometer on a car.

v2.6 should have a 64-bit ticker, which should roll over in, according
to my calcs, in 23,650,000,000 years.

(The VMS "ticker" has a resolution of 100 nanoseconds, so it's
64-bit ticker will roll over in "only" 35,000 years.)

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Fear the Penguin!!"