Re: Realtek RTL 8139C and Linux Kernel 2.4.22.

On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 05:54, devotion wrote:
>  Hi.
>  I asked help some time ago and got no reply... trying again (sorry if
> that unappropriate).
>  I have very recently installed the Debian 3.0r1 Linux cd, using
> default kernel that comes with it, the 2.2.20idepci.
>  I am using adsl, whose modem is connected to my only NIC, a Realtek
> 8139C (not C+, i see 8139C on the chip), and the realtek 8139C driver
> (8139too.o) detected 2 network interfaces (eth0 and eth1), both on the
> same IRQ (10).
>  When i boot, eth0 is brought up and eth1 stays down.
>  When i start pppoeconf, it searches for Access Concentrators on
> "both" the nics, and finds it in the eth1 card.
>  pppoeconf saves my setup, and when i boot, eth0 is brought up, and
> eth1 is also brought up. When ppp tries to use eth1, the box resets
> (IRQ conflict?).
>  I therefore edited the ppp_on_boot script to bring eth0 down and
> bring eth1 up, and now everything related to internet works fine in my
> 2.2 kernel.
>  Problem is, I want to install the 2.4 kernel to support all my other
> hardware. I installed the same driver, but now it only detects 1
> network interface card (which was expected at first). pppoeconf
> detects the concentrator in eth0 (which was also expected) (it does
> not detect it when i unplug the cable, so i assume its communicating
> with the modem), but i am not getting any reply from my ISP's
> authentication server (at 200.165.104.12) nor any DNS servers...
>  Does anyone what this is all about?
>  I have tried to:
>  - download the driver from the realtek site, compile it with the new
> kernel, same result
>  - recompile the 2.2 kernel (debian package), but no 8139too.c within it
>  - recompile the 2.4 8139too.c with the 2.2 kernel includes, does not
> compile
>  None of these attempts succeded.
>  Any help is very appreciated, thanks.
>  -- Fred

Try running tcpdump on the iterface while you are starting ppp and see
if you can see any requests the card is sending out and not getting replies
to. Whats the output of tcpdump if you run a dhco client in the interface?
--
Micha Feigin
michf@math.tau.ac.il