Re: Realtek RTL 8139C and Linux Kernel 2.4.22.

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 21:54, devotion wrote:
>  Hi.
>  I asked help some time ago and got no reply... trying again (sorry if
> that unappropriate).
>  I have very recently installed the Debian 3.0r1 Linux cd, using
> default kernel that comes with it, the 2.2.20idepci.
>  I am using adsl, whose modem is connected to my only NIC, a Realtek
> 8139C (not C+, i see 8139C on the chip), and the realtek 8139C driver
> (8139too.o) detected 2 network interfaces (eth0 and eth1), both on the
> same IRQ (10).
>  When i boot, eth0 is brought up and eth1 stays down.
>  When i start pppoeconf, it searches for Access Concentrators on
> "both" the nics, and finds it in the eth1 card.
>  pppoeconf saves my setup, and when i boot, eth0 is brought up, and
> eth1 is also brought up. When ppp tries to use eth1, the box resets
> (IRQ conflict?).
>  I therefore edited the ppp_on_boot script to bring eth0 down and
> bring eth1 up, and now everything related to internet works fine in my
> 2.2 kernel.
>  Problem is, I want to install the 2.4 kernel to support all my other
> hardware. I installed the same driver, but now it only detects 1
> network interface card (which was expected at first). pppoeconf
> detects the concentrator in eth0 (which was also expected) (it does
> not detect it when i unplug the cable, so i assume its communicating
> with the modem), but i am not getting any reply from my ISP's
> authentication server (at 200.165.104.12) nor any DNS servers...
>  Does anyone what this is all about?
>  I have tried to:
>  - download the driver from the realtek site, compile it with the new
> kernel, same result
>  - recompile the 2.2 kernel (debian package), but no 8139too.c within it
>  - recompile the 2.4 8139too.c with the 2.2 kernel includes, does not
> compile
>  None of these attempts succeded.
>  Any help is very appreciated, thanks.
>  -- Fred

Are you sure it's a driver issue?

What does the output of this command look like?
   dmesg |grep -n -B 3 -A 3 eth

Also, what about /etc/network/interfaces , /sbin/ifconfig and
/sbin/route ?

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse."
Larry Wall, 10/14/1998