Re: Grafische Benutzeroberfläche

On Fre, 2003-09-26 at 05:11, Carsten wrote:
> Hallo Debianteam !!!
>
> Linux ist für mich eigentlich Neuland, ich habe vorher schon einwenig
> mit SUSE 8.0 gespielt .
> Jetzt habe ich von den vorteilen von eurem System gehört .
> Ich habe mir eure neue Version gekauft und Installiert .
> Es hört sich vieleicht komisch an, ich komme aber nicht in dem
> Grafischen Desktop.
> mit welchen Befehl kann ich denn die Grafische Benutzeroberfläche
> Starten ?
> Der Prompt ist da .Leider kann ich dieses aus der Dokumetation nicht
> rauslesen .Oder habe ich bei der Installation etwas falsch gemacht
> .Bei Suse kann ich ja zwischen der Grafischen  und dem Eingabe Prompt
> wescheln.
>
> Für Eure Bemühungen bedanke ich mich im vorraus
>
> mfg
> Carsten

[I'm new to Linux, but have played a bit with SuSE 8.0. I heard of the
advantages of Debian and bought your new version. It may sound funny,
but I don't have a graphical desktop. With which command do I start it?
I have a prompt. Did I do something wrong when installing? With SuSE,
I'm able to to switch between prompt and graphical interface.

thanks for help]

Hi Carsten,

this is an English-language mailing list. Please post in English, or use
the German-language user list:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user-german/

Also, please don't post HTML-messages to Debian lists and use the
mailing list archives before posting. Your question comes up regularly
and has been answered many times.

Debian does not install and configure the X Window System by default.
That's why you only have a text console.
You should use the tasksel command, which will enable you to install
packages based on what you want to do with you system. Select tasks X
Window System and Desktop Environment. This will install what you need
ad prompt you for configuration.  Have the manuals of your monitor (esp.
horizontal and vertical frequencies) and of your graphic adapter (exp.
chipset and amount of memory) handy, you will have to enter those.

When X is configured, you can use kdm, gdm or xdm (the display managers
coming with KDE, Gnome and X, respectively) to provide you with a
graphical login screen. Alternatively, you can boot into the text
console and start X with the startx command manually.

If you use the current stable Debian release, code name Woody, you will
want to use newer versions of KDE and/or Gnome than come with it. Go to
http://www.apt-get.org and search. You'll find non-official backports to
woody. Put the deb lines into your /etc/apt/sources.list and upgrade.
Read the apt package manager documentation at www.debian.org.

Have fun